Thursday 20 November 2014

Trip to VARANASI

The first educational tour at Srishti school of Art, Design and Technology in Bangalore was an occasion that all of us looked forward to. Five months in Bangalore and that too remaining almost confined to Yalehanka, the outskirts of Bangalore, had stirred in us a desire to visit a new destination, other than our hometowns of course. And therefore when we were asked to choose our choice of place for the educational tour, I was both excited and anxious. There were a lot of places that I hadn’t been to like – Malwa, Jodhpur, Kutch etc yet I chose Varanasi for a variety of reasons.

Varanasi I knew is the world’s oldest living city besides being the holiest place for those belonging to the Hindu religion. The rich cultural traditions of the city, inspired by Ganges, the holiest of river in the country and its extremely rich history had always inspired me and in the back of my mind I always had a desire to visit the city at the earliest opportunity. Besides Varanasi is a place that has a confluence of religions, Buddhism being one of them.  And therefore when the occasion arose, I put my finger bang on Varanasi even though other places appeared much more exotic to explore. Varanasi I knew would have the mysticism that other places would not. Yet I knew that my visit to Varanasi would not be as a tourist but as an intrepid traveler who is out to explore the place to its fullest. My teachers had mentioned that this educational tour is all about learning about the evolution of the city, understanding its pulse and also its finer points through extensive interaction with the local people and experiencing the local environment to the maximum extent possible. Basically it was a learning experience, but not through books but practical hands on approach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment